Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Just a Few Weeks Until Racing Begins 2013-2014

Things are continuing to go well and I am getting excited about some upcoming races here in the near future.  As my mind drifts to the track day in and day out, I can not wait to lace up my spikes!  I love spikes!  They make me feel quick and ready to go! It is had to believe I haven't had these beauties on since August!
My Favorite spike Victory XC
I wear XC spikes for track, but these are no normal XC spike.  They don't have the standard rubber outsole, and they have a carbon plate for great energy return from all surfaces, yet they don't make me run on my toes quite as much, so my ever complaining Achilles keeps its little mouth shut! Plus who doesn't love purple and pink plaid?  

I will be racing in my flats one more time prior to lacing those bad boys up.  Thanksgiving in Northeast Ohio can be 60 degrees and sunny, well mostly sunny, we only have 51 days of complete sun here a year and the majority of them do not happen after September.  Or it can be 25 degrees and sleeting.  That was the case the last time I ran the Perry Rotary Turkey Trot in 2010.  None the less the course is quite flat and if you want to run fast, it is a great place to give it a go.  Either weather is fine, though I prefer 50 and overcast. I will grace the city of Canton in my spankies and sports bra once again this year and hopefully no one informs me to "put some clothes on".  You see, the last time I raced there my mom yelled that at me…she was joking.  But a good friend of mine didn't know she was my mom and nearly ripped her head off.  It was hilarious!  Thanks for having a good sense of humor about my attire mom! Ryan and Lizzie plan to race too and that will make the day even more fun! I am not sure how fit I am but since things are going well I will hope to run faster than I have there in the past 16:56. So my fingers are crossed! 

Last week's 10 mile tempo went off without a hitch averaging 6:07, and then tuesday's track workout was a little quicker, yet manageable with 12x600@1:56-1:57 so my legs won't be in shock coming though the mile around 5:20. Then its time to be tough, and see what I can do over the last 2 miles! 

After that I will get to lace up those beautiful spikes for a mile and 3k indoors at Kent on December 7th.   That for me is when the fun begins.  I set a goal of breaking 16:00 this year for 5k, and I hope to be seeing 16:teens indoors in order to get me into some bigger track meets during the outdoor season.  Being less than a month away from racing on the track has me feeling like Pavlov's dog when a bell starts ringing. 
Hopefully when we come across the finish line Glenn has a big smile on his face and keeps writing faster workouts to direct us toward our goals!  So over the next few weeks I head out the door, even in the snow I hate, because its almost time to let the fun begin!  




No comments:

Post a Comment