Monday, July 28, 2014

Being A New Mom/Ready To Run Again!

After 13 days in the NICU we were able to bring Nolan and Corra home!  I was apprehensive, and a bit nervous, but after a few days I felt confident that we could handle them, and that they would do just fine home, and no longer in the hospital.  Unlike most new parents we got 13 days of advice, and practice prior to bringing them home.  I was happy to have had the help.  The NICU nurses at Akron General are incredible.  They are so caring and gave us all the help they could not only for the kids, but also for my recovery.  We couldn't have had a better experience with a NICU.  I hope my kids never have to go back, but we were so thankful for the incredible staff during our stay. 

While living in the hospital allowed us to know our kids were being taken care of, it really took a toll on me.  I ended up getting PUPPP rash 3 days after having the kids, which is a result of the pregnancy and completely benign.  It itches like hell, and looks terrible. It covered my stomach, back,  butt, and then spread down my arms and legs.  It was/is terrible.  It is much better now, but still not gone. After a couple sleepless nights filled with itching, we got a little scare.  My face became paralyzed on one side. After spending 9p-12a in the ER we were relived to find out it was just Bell's Palsy, and I was hopeful it would go away soon.


Fast forward 3 weeks and I am making a pretty good and quick recovery from the Bell's Palsy!  I have most function back in my face, and unless you know me pretty well, you can hardly tell there is anything wrong! While the rash still itches, it is no longer raised nor red and it is slowly going way. 

Our kids are doing great! They are growing and well over 6 lbs now!  Pegasus seems to like them and spends every feed laying close and checking on them if they cry!


We have mastered bath time!  They LOVE getting their hair washed!  I will use this anytime they get super fussy! They instantly stop crying and close their eyes.  It is precious!  


Corra loves being close to Nolan and if you put them close, she will find a way to roll over to him and touch him.  This sends him into a crying fit!  He gets so annoyed.   It's pretty funny!


We are so happy that they are home and doing well.   It is tiring, and it is mentally exhausting to do the same thing every 3 hours around the clock, but I love them so much.  Not to say I haven't cried for absolutely no reason at all, and selfishly wished I was out running rather than feeding, but it is rewarding to care for them, and watching Ryan love on them makes my heart full. 


Im still 3 pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight, and have a belly.  It is NOTHING compared to the monster stomach I had!  Running is coming back slowly, and I got in 12 miles total last week!  
Mon: 2 miles 9 min pace
Tues: 2 miles 8:30 pace
Wed: off went for a walk
Thurs: 3 miles 8 min pace
Fri: 1 mile 8:15 pace
Sat: off
Sun: 4 miles long run 8:15 pace 


While it is going to be a long road back, I look forward to the challenge of staying healthy, and meeting my goal of qualifying to the Olympic Trials for a 3rd time. I am excited to share the experience of coming back from a twin pregnancy, dealing with the pressures of being a mom, and chasing down another dream with all of you! 


No comments:

Post a Comment