Saturday, October 12, 2013

Blindly Follow

About one year ago I went to the track as a member of Cleveland Elite Development (CED) for the first time.  I knew a number of people at the track that day since we had run together some and raced over quite a few years. A few weeks prior, after an epic fail at the Akron Marathon, I had decided I needed something different.  After a few conversations I decided that being coached by Glenn Andrews would be a good step.  I doubt I will ever forget the conversation I had with Nicole Camp about what I needed to do to become the athlete I wanted to be.  Glenn had forwardly informed me that I would not be running my usual 100-110 mile weeks under him.  I made a comment about 80 miles a week feeling like I didn't quite know what to do with myself.
Sorta like this! lol!
Nicole quickly pipped up and told me to blindly follow.  I promised her that I would and I meant it with all my heart.

Glenn has helped some ladies become some pretty fast, and I believed he could do the same for me.  Every time over think something I remind myself of the promise I made at the track that night, and remember all Glenn has done for us.  Glenn is a mild tempered, easy going coach.  While he isn't afraid to look at me and tell me to pull myself together,  work harder, and that my goals require specific work, he also offers us encouragement and little tie bits of praise for the things we do well.  I think it is safe to say that we as a collective group love and respect Glenn.

We love Glenn!

Since being under Glenn, I have run PR's for 2 miles, 5k, 8k and 5 miles.  I have run my fastest half in 3 years, and I have finally dealt with a hamstring issue that I had only assumed I would have to deal with for the remainder of my running. I haven't cheated by doing more than I am told to,  and I have hit workouts as Glenn has asked us to. I have watched Jess grab her first Olympic Trials qualifier,  and Nicole grab her second.  I have witnessed Lizzie come back from an injury, Aubrey run PR's I don't know she thought she was capable of, and Barb run a couple national age group records!  Nicole and I have become the sort of friends where you assume if one of us is there the other must be, and Aubrey makes me laugh so hard I have tears running down my face often.  We have given Hanson's ladies a run for their money at a club championship, and we have watched each other struggle on some rough days. Having someone to struggle with is sooo much better than doing it alone!

I am still not the athlete I want to be, but I am taking steps in the right direction!  As my first year with CED comes to an end I eagerly look forward to what we can do individually and collectively in 2014!  After a race tomorrow we have some "active rest" which Glenn says is like "pulling teeth" with me, and then I get to get ready for some TRACK!  I hate cross country, I love the roads, and I am in love with the track, so I can't wait to lace my spikes up this winter and spring and chase down some times from the mile through the 10k! As we go through 2014 I know what I have to do and it is simple, put one foot in front of the other and keep my promise!

My favorite place on earth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment