Follow by Email

Monday, May 6, 2013

Windy Half While Keeping My Rebel Side In Check

This past Saturday was the Capital City Half Marathon! I was excited to get in my first half in almost 3 years, and enjoy the excitement of racing on the roads which I love. I was more excited from a coaching standpoint as Ryan was also running and debuting at the distance.

Friday night we headed down to columbus and stayed with Ryan's family. We went to bed early so we were ready for the 5 am wakeup call. By 7 am we were warming up in downtown columbus and both getting pretty antsy for the race to start. Ry seemed a bit nervous, but I felt confident in what he could do. My anxiety was more for the fact that I would be using this race as a workout. I knew that not allowing myself to race was going to be tough. I was talking myself into the race plan over and over and over and over again! lol! I knew as soon as the gun went off my rebel side would want to show up and start pushing, so I had to give myself a talking' to! I promised myself I would execute the plan given to me by my coach and nothing more.

So the gun went off and I did all I could to keep myself contained for 10 miles. I did a pretty good job of keeping the miles in the 5:50's for the first 4. When we turned onto High street we hit a pretty strong head wind, that we would be into for the majority of the remaining part of the race, and I had to make a decision. Knowing the goal was to run the last 5k hard, I maintained effort and tried not to let the splits bother me. I ran the next 6 miles around 6:00. Numerous times my mind drifted to Ryan's race, with the hopes that he had other bodies to work with in this wind. I was on my own, and to be honest getting pretty pissed off. But before I knew it I was at 10 miles! I started pushing and finished up running 5:51, 5:44, 5:36. I was happy with the finish. I felt I had executed the race plan pretty much the way Glenn had asked me to. What was best was I knew I was fitter for it! I felt thankful to have kept my rebel side in check! Ryan had waited at the finish for me, which I was very thankful for, since it took a lot not to ask people I knew during the race how he was doing! He had placed 2nd in 1:10:15. I thought that was a great debut in the conditions! I was a proud coach. I had won my race in 1:18:06, but I was much more excited about Ryan's.

We cooled down with some friends and laughed about how upset we felt toward the wind. Haha. I get seriously mad, like I am holding back yelling at it! I would have to put up a parental advisory on my blog if I shared my thoughts toward those gusts! I also would have looked insane yelling to the wind! Eh, it was still a lot of fun when it came down to it. So many family and friends came out to watch us race it really made the day a nice one to remember!

Training has continued to go well and I am becoming more and more mentally tough, which is exciting. I am pumped to get back on the track with Nicole tomorrow and get in another workout and start chasing after our goal for the USA Championships in Duluth next month! We are chasing down some big PR's so check out the results on June 22nd.

a picture of the finish

No comments:

Post a Comment