Friday, November 12, 2010

let the countdown begin!

24 days until I get to lace up my racing flats, harness all the anxious energy, and poise myself for 26.2 miles through the streets of Sacramento. I feel like I've come a long way since the debacle in Minneapolis/St. Paul.



After 2 weeks of really just getting in some running, and trying to find a way to get my focus on the right things to feel prepared to race again. I was able to run a new PR for 10k (as i mentioned in the previous post).

I have had some very solid, long workouts and I feel like things are going in the right direction.
I did a 20 mile workout with Jason back in September, and I mentally struggled so much that it manifested as a physical struggle in the last 8 miles or so. I struggled to hit sub 6 min pace all out. I have done a 21 mile workout running the last 10 miles at 6:20 pace without feeling like it was more than a glorified easy run. 4 days later I was able to run 22 miles progressing through the run down to a fast last 2 miles. Which I was able to run faster than during my prep for Twin Cities in 2009.

I feel very confident that I will be ready come Dec. 5th.

So today I am on my way to the NCAA regional meet with the team. I am excited to see how they will race, and eager to watch a great meet.
After raking and bagging leaves for 5-6 hours yesterday my hamstrings are pretty tight, but not too bad to run with. I ran 8 this morning, and will have another down day tomorrow.
Sunday has a 15k race and then 15k running a mile marathony, a mile easy in store.
By time we get there ill have 3 weeks til race day!

I am eager to get to the start line, and very excited for the chance to race a good marathon so soon after Twin Cities. I still have a lot of work to do, and more mental prep to get to the place I want to be, but I'm getting there. One step at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment